Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Duality of Man

Do you even recognize where that phrase comes from? If the answer is no, it comes from the movie Full Metal Jacket. If you haven’t seen that movie, don’t worry you haven’t missed that much. If you have, you’ll agree, they haven’t missed that much. First I will admit that I’m actually writing on a subject that I saw on TV. Well actually that is all I ever write about, it is something that I see, but I think there is a context that wasn’t explored by the writers, or Hollywood is too shallow to cover the deeper meanings. Thus, I am exploring some of my views when it comes the duality of man. So with enough background and me just getting to the point, my thoughts on the duality of man.

Okay that is just a fancy title, good don’t you think? I believe and am convinced there are two people who live in each of us, the first is the person who wants to help others, be a contributing citizen who would give you the shirt of his back, and is at every community activity doing the dishes. The other person that lives inside of us is concerned about how they look, what they are doing, what they have, and how they are being compensated for their time. Which person is deciding what to do with your time? I must admit that the second person has been more a focus lately, and though it isn’t bad, my constant focus on the material things in life has caused a bit of an imbalance in my life.

I probably should be begging John’s fogiveness at work more than I do, but it seems that my normally selfish behavior has had consequences towards those people I am around the most. Poor John has had to deal with my snide comments of late, though he seems to shrug it off quite well. But now in front of everyone I’m committing to do better. I’m not letting the prideful, self-centered, egotistical, arrogant part of me dominate my actions at work or anywhere else for that matter. What part of me is left if I’m no longer going to savor those characteristics you may ask. Well I’m actually asking myself the same question, because to be quite honest without being around my friends who are bold enough to point it out, I have left the rest of my personality either back in Oklahoma or Utah.

If anyone has suggestions as to what I can do to better kick this second personality out of my life on a more consistant basis, I would appreciate any and all the help you can give. These are a few things that I’m going to try, to start my fight with the self-centered aspect of my humanity. First I’m going to separate myself from the things that give me the most unrighteous pride, I am going to try and stop thinking I’m better than other people because I’m smarter, better looking (ok I just wanted to say that even though it is impossible) funnier or any other characteristics. I want to start using my intelligence to help others around me, rather than using my wit to tear them down. I’m going to stop competing with other people to be the fastest, strongest, or smartest, I will let others do well, and I won’t point out that I let them do better. (Okay that one is going to be really hard.) And I’m going to put for much effort to stop hating people for any reason. It seems that I want to be justified in my dislikes, but there is at least one quality in everyone that is admirable. Well except for……just kidding!

So as I strive to understand the duality in my own humanity and become a better person, I’ll attempt to realize that through internal changes and service I might be able to lift those around me, rather than tear them down. This is just a start, any suggestions as to how I might do better? The dark side of my humanity seems to be in control right now, but with time and patience and study, I believe that I can become better. And if I can do it with much effort and study, everyone else should be able to do it quick as a whistle.

No comments:

My Favorite Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones