Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sometimes we see things differently than others

So I was sitting in stratification today when we were discussing the reading and Durkheim's view of stratification. I had the things that I had understood from the reading and ideas that I was ready to take into the class discussion. When the class began to discuss the readings, well, none of them had seen the reading even remotely similar to my view. Do you know how dumb it makes you feel when you have nothing to add when the teacher asks, lol. But no worries. So I was listening to songs and I came across this one.



Now I had an idea of what this is about, but when looking at youtube videos, I came across completely different ideas behind the words. So let me know what you think this means. Who is singing and to whom are they singing? I'll post my answer in one week, but we will see if I'm similar to everyone else or if I'm completely off base.....again.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm surprised that you weren't proud of and vocal about your alternate view in class. I think that on the internet you like to cause trouble and stand out, but in person you're not so intense about it :-)

~

I'll type my impressions as I listen to the song.

Right up until we got to "I will find you" it sounded very straightforward to me. It is a best friend singing to his/her best friend who is having a rough time in life.

But then we get to "I will shine to guide you". People don't usually say they will 'shine' to guide someone else -- I think of that as a metaphor for Christ. And then it seemed that the entire song would fit the way Christ or God would lift us up. My impression of this is also colored by me thinking that Josh Groban is a religious singer. Is he?

Erin said...

Ramon,
There wasn't an option to comment on the cookbook poll. I LOVE cookbooks with pictures because they stimulate my appetite. :)

Katie said...

It's been two weeks.

My Favorite Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones