Sunday, January 10, 2010

Things I'm Working On

Just to give an update of what is going on here. With the new semester having started, I'm supposed to be reading right now, but the to do list is getting quite long. One of the things you are going to start seeing are recipes that I'm going to post. My goal is to post 50 new recipes this year that can be part of your emergency preparedness. In other words, these recipes will have ways to cook them with no electricity. This will require specialty equipment like a camp stove, outdoor grill, or dutch oven. I'm trying to keep the cost of how to do this to a minimum because that is one reason most people don't develop a food storage.

So for the few people who read this, is there anything specific you want to see as far as recipes? I'm planning on splitting it up into breakfast, lunches, dinner, desserts, and a few fun things, but let me know what you think of this idea. I even have a way to cook pizza using things from my food storage. Yep, I even have cheese that has been freeze dried. This will be an interesting year, so watch as I start posting in the next week or so.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I think this is a fantastic idea. I would like to see whole foods and vegetarian recipes. By whole foods, I mean unprocessed foods close to nature, such as beans, seeds, nuts, grains, etc.

There's a canned cheese that comes from New Zealand or Australia or something that it supposed to be very good for food storage. But of course it's expensive. I can't find the link right now though. They also have canned butter.

I don't intend to store processed foods, but I may end up doing so just so that if we really had nothing else, we would have a bit more variety.

Right now my food storage is mainly canned foods (beans, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, & tuna so far), plus honey, coconut oil, some nuts/seeds, and a bit of wheat. I certainly don't have a year's worth of food, but I'm doing great for being in an apartment, I think!

Katie said...

Of course instead of storing butter/cheese, it would be better to have a cow, but that's a little unwieldy for city-dwellers :-D

Canned butter:

http://www.readydepot.com/servlet/the-Food-cln-Butter,-Canned/Categories

http://www.mrewholesalers.com/cannedbutterdetails.html


Canned (processed) cheese:

http://www.internet-grocer.net/cheese.htm

http://www.mrewholesalers.com/cannedcheesedetails.html

Haley said...

I want to know how to cook bread in a dutch oven without getting the bottom and top burned and getting the insides done. Looking for ward to more posts!

My Favorite Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones