Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why do some people like to make everything difficult?





I must admit I'm confused why some people want to make cooking and baking into the impossible sport. Have you ever heard that baking is an exact science? Uhh, well, not really. I would argue that candy making is more exact than baking. Note the three pictures, if I can make it, anyone can. Though the caramel apple french toast is the most difficult, it is still easily possible for anyone to make. The book where I got the recipe used the most difficult way of caramelizing sugar, which made the first few attempts a dismal failure. Once I came up with my own way of doing it, it worked like a charm! This week I made Minestrone Soup, Cabbage Soup, Breadsticks, Cinnamon Rolls, Orange Rolls, and Caramel Apple Croissant French Toast. Now granted, I hate doing dishes, so the dishwasher has been running non-stop, but it has really been worth it.

By the way, with a few modifications, I can make everyone of these with no power and 100% from my food storage....not bad if you ask me.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Now you're just mocking me. I try to make stuff like that, and it just doesn't end up looking like that. For instance, I made this cinnamon roll recipe, which was supposed to be FOOLPROOF, no one could EVER mess this up. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/
I followed the directions exactly, used store-bought ingredients (no home-ground whole-wheat flour, for example), and it turned out nothing like the pictures. My filling wouldn't stay in the cinnamon rolls, and they didn't ever rise.

In that case I followed the recipe. However, usually my problem is that I try to modify things to make them as natural as possible, for example, I want my bread recipe not to have any dough enhancer or vital wheat gluten in it, because those are things I can't make myself. I want it to have home-ground whole-wheat flour, oil, water, salt, and yeast. Technically, I don't even want to use yeast; I want to make natural sourdough, but that's been a total failure the two times I tried it. I wish we still had communities where the experienced and the newbies would get together and teach/learn how things should be done.

I still love cooking/baking despite my failures.

So just stand there and mock me, ha ha ;-)

Sarah said...

looks yummy my mouth iswatering as we speak

Haley said...

Why are you not 300 pounds. If I didn't luv ya so much, I'd hate yer guts! I don't get it. I swear I just gained 5 pounds looking at the yumminess of the pictures.

Martha said...

You have experience in cooking/baking which makes everything a tad bit easier to do. I loved being your tester for new recipes you would try. Sarah and her family and I loved it when you were trying something new and needed someone to taste test it for you. Any time you need a tester just mail me your stuff and I will give you my opinion. I tried a new recipe this last weekend as well. My friend took a picture so as soon as I get it from her I will blog about it and you can see what I made. It was very yummy.

Marly said...

no recipes included? What's up with that?!
I love to bake and cook and it comes pretty easily to me, I'm just usually too lazy :p

Molly said...

Ok - I would like the bread recipe (displayed) and the cinnamon rolls (mailed) and the breadstick recipe. Not an easy post to look at 21 weeks pregnant and not suddenly have a craving for it all!!

PS - it's another girl.

Darci said...

good job! can i join your study group? for the food?

My Favorite Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones